Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Southern Carriage House


Today’s topic is how to spruce up your curb appeal by adding decorative items to the outside of your home and porch.  A couple of years ago we purchased our current home leaving behind one I truly loved in a neighborhood gone bad. Our home had been newly painted a pretty sandy taupe with white trim, white lattice work fencing, black shutters and rod iron accents, it was so pretty. The new home was newly painted tan with dark brown trim and light cocoa accents on the shutters and front door, can you say colorless! (I absolutely hated it but loved the size of the house so we bought it anyway) Last year I began the curb appeal process by painting our front door a dark red so guests could find the door when stepping onto the porch.  This year I am determined to get all of the trim painted a nice white with the shutters painted in a sharp glossy black, more like our last home.  I wish I could repaint the body of the house but a two story home this size is pretty costly to repaint after only three years, trim work and embellishments will just have to do for now. 

To give our cookie cutter home some individual personality and a bit of southern carriage house flare I unpacked all my rod iron accents and added a few new pieces to my collection to place around the outside of the house. Upon inspection of all my treasures I noticed rust had taken over several of my outside décor items.  That was just not going to work on the house if everything was in less then perfect condition, so I cleaned all my pieces prepping for a new coat of Hammered Black Spray Paint by RUST-OLEUM, perfect for my outdoor decorations.  Everything got a new coat of paint, nice and fresh and ready to find homes on the front of the house.

Before:
This is the front window of the house, nothing stellar to look at, not even any shutters, (I plan to remedy that when the trim gets painted) a perfect place to add curb appeal.

After:
We placed an elegant half round over the window and two rod iron carriage lights on each side of the window giving the front of the house some dimension and making it pop, love it!

The front porch got a few pieces as well which stand out against the tan color of the house; it is not a large porch, leaving room for just a small bistro set and a plant, it is bigger then the one I had before giving me some room for a little decorating.

Last but not least, the house numbers and the hose reel.  The numbers were a faded light brown which you could not read from the street and were so flimsy they threatened to crack when I tried to take them down.  I decided to paint them in place using a very tiny paint brush, they came out great and you can see them from the street.  The hose reel got a coat of hammered black paint as well to make everything cohesive straight across the front of the house.  My ultimate goal is to put some carriage house hardware on the roll up garage door to make it look like two doors opening in the middle, I think that will get done after the new paint on the house; then I will truly have my cozy cottage carriage house. Did I mention I live in California in a subdivision and almost all of the houses look the same in each housing tract; boring! Not for me, you just wait and see what happens!

Thanks for letting me share my new curb appeal project, I had a great time adding some much needed color and dimension to my home; I can’t wait to finish the rest.  Oops!!! I forgot to take a photo of the front of the house so you could see it all pulled together, I will do that soon, watch for it.
See you soon.

Laurette

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...